Monday, June 21, 2010

Back from Hagen

Wow! What a weekend! I thought that I would have time to blog throughout....but the show turned out to have early mornings, long days, late nights, and SO MUCH FUN!!! This was definitely the most fun show I have ever been to. I still can't believe that I got to go.

So I will break this down day by day. The first day was the jog Thursday and that was certainly interesting! I rode both of the ponies before the jog so they could warm up (and be a little tired because they can sometimes be wild). They were both super and I was confident that we would have a normal, uneventful jog. WRONG! Dewey was a very good boy-behaving nicely and passing the jog. However, Guffy was very naughty! We were in the holding area which was right next to the jogging area in the big indoor, and I thought that it would be a good idea to practice once before I went in to jog. Well, as we were doing our practice jog, he kicked up, reared, and took me out with his hind legs! I was dragged through the dirt for a couple of seconds until the reins broke and he was loose!!! Luckily we were in an indoor and there was no where for him to go. Needless to say I was very dirty! But the horses were healthy and ready to compete which was all that mattered. It was funny though because after I was done taking care of the horses back in the CDI tents, I met my parents and all of my friends up at the party tent for the welcome party....and I walked in limping. It was so funny and we all had a good laugh!



The next day was the first day of competition. We rode the team test, so this was a nations cup competition. I got to ride both ponies in this class, but only Dewey's test was scored because Guffy was an entry that they called a "vorreiter." Those who had two ponies had the option of entering one in the actual class and the other as just a ride without score but with the judges and everything. After that, you had to chose your best horse from that day and take that one horse on to the next two days for individual competition. Guffy was very good in the warm up that day, but got very scared in the ring and felt like he climbed into the snail shell to hide. It was too bad because he felt so good in the warmup, but I had another chance with the horse that counted for a score. Dewey was very good. We put down a test with no mistakes, great collection, and good precision. However, we did run into the politics again because it was a big european selection trials, so they were not going to give the new american girl the score. It was so much fun though, and I had a lot of fun riding a really good test.

The next day, Saturday was the individual test which qualified you for the finale which was the kur. This test was not quite as good as the one before, but we still managed to make it into the kur. I was so excited, because that was all that I wanted to do....get into the kur. We were all so excited and we went to the big gala on saturday night for all of the riders and had so much fun. Dancing, talking, and having fun with all of the other riders, show jumpers and dressage was so much fun! We were out very late!

The next day was Sunday. Day of the finale. It was the freestyle so I was loose and confident. This was where I wanted to be, and I got there. A lot of people came to watch me that day. Supporters from the USA, really close friends, and people I had never met before came to watch my kur. It was so much fun! Dewey and I rose to the occasion and laid down a really nice kur. Dewey performed his grand prix half passes with ease and accuracy, and the highlight was definitely the canter work which was awesome! Unfortunately, the scores were still a a bit unfair, and our score was not where it was expected to be. Even Frau Endres said she had me much higher, and a lot of people that I met here that came to watch said that they had me in the low 70s! And they know their stuff!!!! It was so cool though! Seeing all of those great riders and knowing that I came here and competed with them and came to play ball. I now realize that for your first time in Europe, it's not all about the scores. This is what it is all about:

1. Having Fun
2. Riding well
3. Feeling confident
4. Making friends
5. Living the dream


This weekend was absolutely amazing. I learned so much from dressage and jumper riders. I made friends with people of both disciplines, and even reunited with some old european jumper friends that I had met in Florida last year! The scores and the "first time politics" are not important right now. Right now I am just so excited that I got to be there. That I got to live it and breath it all the ay through. Instead of breaking down, we stepped up and laid down our very best. I gained the respect of a lot of people, made new friends, and I am ready to continue my education as an up and coming dressage rider. Being here was the most amazing experience, and I don't think that I would have changed anything. I learned so much and most importantly had so much fun. Sometimes I think we get really caught up in the "oh my god I am showing in a big show and I am going to die." Being in a big show like this for the first time can be very stressful and intimidating at times, and it wasn't easy the first two days to warm up in a sea of german riders with quiet legs and soft hands. But after making new friends, going to the parties, and having fun with great people, I began to ride better. By just having fun and hanging out with your friends and relaxing, my legs did get quieter and my hands did get softer, and I laid down 3 clean tests. Of course focus and determination are very important, but sometimes you just gotta let go and have fun! Being with my friends and having fun with my ponies made me a better rider. You just gotta have fun, be confident, and RELAX! What a great weekend! Right now this show goes #1 on my list of most amazing weekends EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment